Part Twenty-Five (Epilogue)

 Yahiko slept in that morning.  When he woke up, he knew that he'd slept later than Kaoru would've ever let him.  Sitting up, he yawned and looked at the room around him.
 That's when he realized he wasn't at home, in the dojo.
 In confusion, Yahiko studied the room he slept in.  It was a small room, the sun shone through the paper walls and softened the glare of the sun outside.  Standing, Yahiko walked to the door and slid it open.  The mid-morning sun shone down upon him, blinding him with its brightness until Yahiko's eyes adjusted.  The clinic, Yahiko thought and immediately remembered the events of the last day.  Of Kaoru disappearing, of him seeking help from the police, that someone hit him from behind.. Yahiko gingerly touched the small bump on his head and grimaced.  Turning to the direction of the main room to look for Megumi, Yahiko found that Doctor Genzai was treating a patient.  When he asked where Megumi was, the doctor explained that she had to leave for a house call and that if he felt better, he could walk back home of his on volition.
 Sighing and waving goodbye, Yahiko stepped off the porch and began the trek home..only to run into Sanosuke at the gate of the dojo grounds.
 "Hey, Sano..what's up?"  Sanosuke jumped, startled and turned to see the young boy standing curiously behind him.
 "Oh, it's you Yahiko. I was just wondering where Kaoru was."
 Yahiko's eyebrows lowered, "You're looking for Kaoru?  I mean, you actually want to SEE Ugly?"
 Sanosuke swallowed in nervousness and shook his head anxiously in denial, "Oh no, that's not what I meant at all.  I just wanted to see if she was alright."  Embarrassment caused him to blurt out, "I wanna see Kenshin, too!  It's not like them to not be up and around yet, ya know?"
 Yahiko shrugged and walked past Sanosuke into the front yard.  "You're never going to find out if you just hang around at the door, Sano, Chicken Head."  With that, Yahiko began to run towards the house, up the steps, and around to the side while Sanosuke chased him angrily from behind.
 He first came to Kenshin's door only to find the room spotlessly neat, as usual.  Not even having the time to shut the door after him, he ran around the house till he got to Kaoru's room.  There, he noticed a large form lying beneath the covers.  Grinning, Yahiko took a step forward in anticipation till something occurred to him.  There were two forms underneath the blanket?and if his guestimation was correct?by all of the clothing lying around the room, the forms under that blanket were naked.  Blinking in disbelief, he lifted the nearest item of clothing?Kenshin's gi.
 "No way," The boy stood shocked as what he was seeing came to him.  He shook his head and was just about to put the gi back where he found it, when we felt the towering presence of Sanosuke behind him.  Turning quickly, gi still in hand, Yahiko was surprised by the look on Sanosuke's face.  It looked like he was really upset about something?then again, it must have been his imagination because Sano's face now sported a wide grin.
 "Come on, Yahiko-chan, let's leave these lovebirds alone."  Sano picked Yahiko up by the collar, tugged the gi out of Yahiko's grip and threw it to the floor before taking Yahiko out of the room, closing the door behind him.
 Kenshin's sigh of relief filled the room as he looked up at the ceiling.  He awoke the moment the boy stood before the door, but didn't want to make any sudden moves to wake Kaoru.  If she'd woke up, she probably would've felt guilty, or at least  ashamed at being caught in their compromising position.
 Well, there's nothing else I can do to fix all of this, exept marry her.  Kenshin smiled, pleased by the idea.
 Kenshin's chuckling woke Kaoru from sleep.  Just becoming aware of her surroundings was pleasant for Kaoru that morning as she inhaled the musky scent of her beloved.  Yawning and stretching, she leaned up on her right elbow and looked down at Kenshin, almost shyly.
 "Good morning." Kaoru to saw the smile that came to Kenshin's face and grinned in return.
 "Good morning, Kaoru."  Kaoru closed her eyes as she realized that last night hadn't been just a dream.  That Kenshin really said her name without the cold formality he always hid himself behind.  That Kenshin actually thought she was beautiful, that he wanted her.  She blushed at that thought and realized that they were still naked beneath the covers.  Curling her toes in happiness, she recalled Kenshin saying that he loved her and impromptly kissed him full on the lips.
 Kenshin's response was immediate, he kissed her until they were both breathless and excited.  Sighing in pleasure, Kaoru placed her head on Kenshin's chest, loving the feeling of his fingers gliding through her hair.  She tenderly kissed the flesh beside her cheek and closed her eyes to relish in the warmth and security which was Himura Kenshin.
 "Yahiko and Sanosuke saw us."  Stiffening in surprise, Kaoru sat up alarmed.
 "Wh.what? When?" Kenshin didn't seem as upset as she did, so she relaxed a bit and waited for Kenshin to go on.
 "They were here about five minutes ago.  I think we should get up and talk to them about this."  Kenshin sat up, the muscles of his chest coming into Kaoru's appreciative view.
Nibbling on her bottom lip, Kaoru pulled the cover to her chest and looked away when Kenshin stood, fighting the temptation to look at him as he dressed.
"But what is this?'this'?  I mean, what do we do now?"  Kaoru heard a pause on the other side of the room and was surprised when she felt Kenshin's warm fingers cup her face.  Turning her to him, she saw Kenshin dressed in his hakama, but still bare-chested.
Kenshin looked fiercely into her eyes, "Kaoru, 'this' is us."  He brought her lips to his and tenderly brushed them together with his.
"'This' is us loving each other."  He gently wrapped his arms around her and brought his lips back to hers for a longer, sweeter kiss.
"This, is me asking you to marry me."  He brought her lips back to his for a deep kiss that left them both shaken with its power.  Kenshin gently pressed his lips to hers for one more kiss then he walked to the other side of the room and put on his gi.  He finished and smiled at Kaoru, brushing a bit of bang behind his ear.  He grabbed his sakaba sword and opened the door to the outside world.  The bright sun made him look like a shadowy outline in the doorway.  He turned to Kaoru, his face still hidden, "And this is me waiting impatiently for your answer.  This is me being a total fool by leaving you in that room looking so.." His voice lowered, "So beautiful, like you want me to come back in there with you.."  He heard Kaoru's shocked gasp and decided that he'd better leave now before he did something crazy, like coerce Kaoru into marrying him instead of her answering of her own volition.
====================================================

By the time Kaoru absorbed everything that Kenshin said, changed, and ran to the front of the house, everyone else was eating breakfast.  Yahiko, his mouth still full managed to get out, "Congratulations!"
Blushing, Kaoru nervously tittered and looked over at Kenshin shyly.  His warm eyes met hers, and after a few seconds of the shared look, Kaoru was blushing for another reason entirely.  In that stare, she saw everything they did with each other the night before flash before her eyes.  She saw all the love he felt inside for her within those deep depths, and a brightness welled inside of her.
Feeling relaxed and confident, she sat besides Kenshin and accepted the bowl of rice he handed her.  When she turned to face Sanosuke, she noticed there was a strange, faraway look in his eyes, which vanished immediately only to be replaced by his roguish grin, "So sorry to wake you up with last night being so eventful and all, " His wink belied that apology.
Kaoru choked on the rice she was eating. Before she could finish to berate the chicken-headed thug, Yahiko burst out laughing and said, "Kenshin, there are so many women out there way more pretty than Ugly here, why do you have to marry her?"
Kenshin's smile shone bright like the sun as he rested loving eyes on Kaoru,
"Because I love her, Yahiko.  And because no one sings to my soul the way she does."
After that pronouncement, Kenshin moved to sit closer to Kaoru and whispered in her ear while Sanosuke and Yahiko fought over the last bowl of rice, "I can't wait for you to sing for me again."
Kaoru blushed when she realized that Kenshin had more than just singing on his mind.  Smiling, she turned to Kenshin, "I'll sing a song for you forever, if you want."
Kenshin chuckled and lightly kissed her cheek caressing the spot with gentle fingers, "Forever just might be long enough…we'll see."

The End