Author's Notes:  Extra Krisko-ness is granted to RayaMars for not only drawing all the
Fantastic pics for the fanfic, but for posting them on a webpage for me.  RayaMars, Hikaru, Tae, Ardith, and Sae are totally responsible for me writing all of this, and I
Truly appreciate all of your support. ^_^
::deep bow:: Doomo arigato gozaimasu!
 

Part Twenty-Four
 

 The stars that shone that night were bright against the velvety darkness of the night.  The moon had shown brightly before, but was now more than half-way across the sky.  With-in a few hours, the sun would rise and a new day would begin.
  Kenshin was walking beside Kaoru-dono.  He looked at her thoughtfully before returning to scan the streets and surrounding areas for anyone who would mean them all harm.
 When they reached the part of their journey which would separate them from Megumi, since her home was in the other direction, they all halted.  Megumi looked at Kenshin and bowed her head slightly as she softly spoke, "I would like to thank you for saving my life this evening, Ken-san.  I truly appreciate it."
 Kenshin smiled slightly and bowed as well, "It was nothing, Megumi-dono.  I apologize for your getting involved with this situation."
 "I'm so sorry, Megumi, it's all my fault."  Kaoru took a step forward in entreaty as she continued, "I should not have allowed you to join me in the tavern.  I should not have been there myself, but I?"  she peeked a look at Kenshin and turned her gaze back to Megumi, "The fact that you came to be in trouble was unforgivable.  Please forgive me."  Kaoru bit her bottom lip and looked down at the ground as she waited for Megumi's reply.
   "What a stupid girl you are." Megumi's slightly sarcastic comment slipped into the night.  When Kaoru's eyes met Megumi's all she saw was warmth and a trace of sadness, "I went because I am your friend, Kaoru-san.  You don't owe me anything for that."  The doctor's smile was sincere and warm as she placed her right hand on Kaoru's shoulder.  "Now, cheer up.  It's time for everyone here to get a good nights sleep."
Megumi smiled and took a step towards the left of the forking road before turning around,  "Yahiko, how do you feel?"
 Yahiko, felt as if his head were about to explode.  All of his energy had been used in standing up and walking.  He wasn't sure he could handle talking as well at the moment, "I'm fine." He muttered, determined not to look as pained as he was.  It didn't matter because Megumi saw through his disguise immediately.  She pointed at Yahiko, "You young man," then she used her thumb to point to the road behind her, "are coming to the clinic with me.  That way I can look in on you should your condition get any worse."  She took the boy by the hand and began to walk down the road after a quick wave to everyone else.
 "Wait." Sanosuke, hands in pocket, walked up to Megumi's side, "Kenshin, I'm gonna walk the Fox home to be sure she doesn't get into anymore trouble along the way.  I'll see you tomorrow." Sanosuke grinned when Megumi began to sputter about her hated nickname.  With little effort, Sanosuke also lifted Yahiko into his arms and held him like a baby, "Come on, Yahiko-chan.  Let's tuck you into bed."  Sanosuke's laughter at Yahiko's feeble attempts to escape faded away as they all walked down the street.
 "Now," Kenshin's voice smoothly spoke, "let's go home, Kaoru-dono."  He reached to his side and placed an arm around her shoulders.  They walked home together.
    *  *  *  *

 "Now," Kaoru thought, "now was the time to face the music."
 Kaoru sat on the patio looking down at her hands as she waited for Kenshin to secure the doors to the gate.  She heard his footsteps approach and waited tensely for him to come near.  Just as his feet came into her sight, he stopped and patiently waited for her eyes to meet his, which they soon did.  He could see apprehension in her gaze, wariness as well.  But he also knew, amazingly enough as it seemed, that there was love there.  Love and passion, all saved for him.  And only him.  He was unaware of how his gaze darkened as he looked into her eyes.  He only knew that something had alerted Kaoru to his feelings because she gasped softly and her cheeks pinked in a blush that only added to her beauty.
 He took a step towards her, his intent clearly shown upon his face, he wanted to kiss her, to touch her.
 Kaoru was amazed by the feeling of electricity that came over her.  Her body felt warmer, she felt her heartbeat quicken, as well as her breath.  Her teeth grasped her bottom lip nervously as her eyes were locked in a heated gaze with Kenshin's.  The thought that ran through her mind was spoken aloud, unknowingly, "God, I want him to touch me.."
 Kenshin's eyes shut as he tried to control his body's reaction to those words.  She wanted him to touch her, those words excited his body and soothed his soul.  He walked to her side and granted Kaoru's wish.  He brought a callused thumb to her nervously bitten bottom lip, smoothing the warm and dampened flesh there.  She literally jumped at the intimate contact and in her shyness, turned her head away from him.  He would've stopped then and left her alone if it hadn't been for the look in her eyes that he'd glimpsed before she turned away from him.  Wide, innocent, hopeful, yet at the same time, turned dark, deep with yearning  for something in her soul that only he could fix.  He sat besides Kaoru and took her left hand between the two of his.  He could feel the coldness of her fingers, he gently warmed her hand between his.  He sat patiently, waiting for her to look back at him before he continued.

Kaoru could feel his eyes on her, his hands slowly moving over and around her's.  A tiny shiver of delight tingled up her spine.  She loved him so much, but after making such a fool of herself over him, she couldn't face him.  Hot tears rose and fell down her hot cheeks, leaving cool trails which caught the glow of the night, making them noticible to Kenshin.  She felt Kenshin take a deep breath and was startled to feel his arms both encircle her and lift her into his lap.  There, he held her close to him,  softly running his fingers through her hair as he slowly rocked her.  Her head, nestled close to his heart heard the strong beat and slowly she relaxed and sighed against him, allowing him to comfort her.  She felt his chin rest upon the top of her head as he took another deep breath before speaking to her softly.
 "Kaoru, you always surprise me.  That is the first thing about you that made me love you, I think.  That first morning, when I came into Tokyo and you stopped and accused me in the street I thought that you were a strange, passionate, strong-spirited girl.  To challenge the Battou-sai with a wooden sword-" He shook his head, she could feel the smile in his voice," to say I was surprised would be an understatement.  Even when you found out who I really was, you still surprised me by asking me to stay.  You cannot realize how much my soul needed to hear them after ten years of being alone.  I knew I should've left you then, but I couldn't.  I was so..alone.  And I thought a short stay with you would be like a moment standing in the sun, before I had to return to my journey.  I thought that you were so honest and brave, and so compassionate and warm.  I knew that when I left, you would be as lonely as I had been, and the gods gave us Yahiko."  He tightened his hold on her for a timeless moment and then continued, "Yet again, you surprised me.  Ready to throw your life away at a game of dice for him?when I think what would've happened if I hadn't arrived in time.."
 "But you did," Kaoru found her voice and pulled away from him slightly to face him, her fingers found the edges of his gi and held onto him securely, "And then we found Sanosuke, Megumi-san, and Tsubame-chan.  You gave me a family, Kenshin."  She smiled softly and looked into his eyes which were deep and shone a little in the night.
 Kenshin wanted to kiss her. Even now, though she was probably unaware of it, his body responded to her. Responded to the sight of her smile, the softness of her weight on him, the sweet puff of breath that touched his skin as she spoke.  He lifted his right hand and brushed the hair off her face and tucked it behind her ear, "Kaoru, you have given me a home and a family.  You have given me a place where I have felt comfortable, a place where I can belong, a place where I am loved. And I thank you for it."  Her slight smile trembled and her eyes fell as she shook her head in mute protest.  Lifting her chin, Kenshin met her gaze with his own and continued to speak, "Yes, Kaoru, it's because of you, all because you are so beautiful, giving, and kind."
 The look in his eyes was so intense and sincere that she knew that he spoke the truth.  With stunned acceptance at his words, she nodded, another tear loosed and gently rolled down her cheek.  She exhaled a shaky breath and sniffed as she drew one in.
 Kenshin pulled her against him again and drew in the scent of her with his next breath.  She felt so right in his arms, he wondered, awed by the thought that even in his wildest dreams, he'd never thought to hold her so near to him.  He closed his eyes and silently thanked all of the gods of creation for this moment.  A few minutes later, Kaoru pulled away from him and looked down at her hands, which still clutched his gi.
 "Um..Kenshin, can you forgive me for.." her voice dropped to a whisper, "for lying to you about..Maku?"  Kaoru was startled when she felt a kiss on her forehead.  She looked at Kenshin in astonishment as he spoke, "Maku is, I think, the one who sealed my fate.  It was because of her that I realized how much I loved you and wanted you.  In order to stay by your side and to protect you, I ignored the other feelings I felt towards you.  I ignored the part of myself that was attracted to you.  I thought that because of your innocence, I would only be taking advantage of you if I gave into the?ideas that haunted me of you constantly.  Of kissing your lips, which smiled and greeted me everytime I entered the room.  Of having you sigh my name into my ear in the dark of night in your sweet voice.  Of feeling the soft, smoothness of your skin against mine-"
He stopped his litany and stroked her hair softly before continuing, " Then I saw Maku.  I did not know it then, but I do know now what it was that affected me so much.  It was her passion.  As if every word and note sung would be her last chance to express herself.  As if she were afraid that if she didn't sing now, she would never have the chance again.  There was a desperation to her, a fire in her soul which cradled me and stirred my soul.  I was taken aback because whenever I saw her sing, I felt the direction of her thoughts upon me?and though I saw her and was caught in the rapture of her, it was your face I saw.  It confused me, befuddled me, made me feel guilty and aware at the same time.  And then, when I realized it was you-"
His eyes glowed deeply from within and his voice caused shivers of pleasure to race inside of her, "When I knew it was you, everything made sense to me.  I realize now that you sang to me because you wanted me to see you, to really see you as you are.  To see what an amazing and courageous woman you had become.  To see how deeply passionate you were.  To show me that you wanted me.  To show me how much you loved me?  Kaoru, I love you from the depths of my soul.  You made me face myself when I held that katana in my hands and couldn't let go.  Your honest heart touched me and filled me with a kind of peace and completeness I'd never known before."
He gently grasped the sides of her face and slowly brought her closer to him, "It's amazing that you can hear so much in a song if you actually listen."
His lips closed over hers, and she sighed onto his lips.  Another opportunity he refused to relinquish, he flicked his tongue into her mouth and tasted her. She was as sweet and warm as he remembered.  As he encouraged her, coached her to taste him as well, he shuddered and brought her closer to him, she was sweet, but beneath that sweetness came a boldness, an awakening of something deep within her which raised the temperature of their kiss into something molten and spicy.
Heat rushed through him without breaking the kiss, he tighten his grip on her and lifted her as he stood.  Only when he had to reach for the door to her room did they come apart to look at each other.  Kaoru motioned for him to set her down and he did, steadying her when her legs threatened to no longer hold her.
Kaoru licked her lips, then, amazed by the pleasure she felt when she tasted him there.  She wanted him to taste her all over.  She brought a slender hand to her lips and felt the warm puffiness there.  She saw that Kensin's gaze seemed riveted to her lips and with the knowledge that he was affected the same as she, she took one of his hands in hers and brought the roughened pad of his forefinger to her lips for a soft kiss.
She felt his hand shake and saw that he clenched the other tightly.  With an inviting smile, Kaoru slid the door to her door open, walked inside, and beckoned him to follow her.
====================================================
Lyrics: In The Night- Sario Kijima
 

They both noted Kenshin's hesitation, but Kaoru knew that she would never allow Kenshin to turn away from her again.  Taking his hand gently in hers, she guided him into the room and closed the door behind him.  Then she walked around to face Kenshin. Again, she took his hand and smoothed her cheek against it, she kissed each pad of his fingers and then the center of his palm.  His stood still, though his rough breathing could be heard in the darkened room.
  His face in shadow, he took one step forward, towards Kaoru and stopped, uncertain of what to do next.  In the dim light he could see that she wanted more from him, but didn't know what to do or how to ask for it.  He could feel her confidence fade as the silence grew between them.  The sensual haze they'd been under was slowly fading away from them, bringing them slowly back to the realm of reality.
 Kaoru couldn't stand his silence a moment longer.  While they were outside, she felt they had connected in some way which touched and healed the hurt deep inside her soul, and that she'd done the same for him.  His self-doubt at this moment hurt her and saddened her.  He didn't yet understand that her love was unconditional and deep.  He may know in his heart, but he'd shut himself away from it so long, he didn't realize that the one thing he needed more than anything in the world was the one thing only he could give himself, forgiveness and a new chance.
 Turning away from him, she turned and walked to a nearby lamp.  She lit the lamp with a spark from her flint and shadows grew on the walls as warm light flooded the room.  There, she turned and looked at Kenshin through dark, mysterious eyes.  She reached up with her hands and brushed the hair behind her ears, down her back.  Smiling shyly at Kenshin, she guided him to sit on her futon, while she stood before him, again confidence in her stance.
 Kenshin looked up at the goddess standing before him and could only feel humbled by her beauty as well as her courage and strength.  When he first came into the room, the only thought that crossed through his mind was that if he touched her here and now, that she would never be as pure and as beautiful as she was at that moment.  That if his tainted hands were to touch her, the part of her that made her so special and magical would be ruined forever, and that she would come to hate him for stealing that from her.  Her understanding of him touched him and convinced him otherwise.  Kaoru would always be as special and magical as she was at that moment.  Standing above him, determined, beautiful, willing him to accept himself as well as the gift she would soon give him.  Kenshin lowered his eyes and smiled ruefully.  As usual, the wild spirit inside of her drew him to her, and he knew that he would not leave her side this night, or ever again.  He felt as if his soul had taken root and that Kaoru was the sun, which warmed him with her love and passion.  In time he would grow more sure of his place in her life, for he knew she wouldn't allow for him to think of anything else except of his love for her and her of him.  He had been surprised by her yet again.

 And then, she began to sing?..and he knew he was lost.
 
  I told that person that I loved them, Mirror, Mirror; in the night
  To this sadness I can't do anything about, How far will I fall?
  Tonight, I know, I won't be able to sleep
  If I close my eyes, we can meet?.Always

 
 She sang, for the first time without hiding who she was, throwing all of her essence into the notes as she gazed down at Kenshin.  She sang, knowing that only by allowing Kenshin to see the girl inside that he wanted to protect and at the same time, the woman inside that he wanted to love, would he be able to understand the scope of her feelings for him.
 
  You told me you've got someone,To rumours like that, I'm listening.
  Dispell them, my doubts; then again Could I be the one? Nothing..
  Tonight, also, I know I won't be able to sleep
  Refrain: Into the labyrinth..I jump headlong
 

For the first time she sang for him without deception as she reached the chorus.  She knew that when she reached out her hand, he would take a hold of it and bring her to him.  She slowly lifted her hand and held it before him, imploringly?
 
 Find me, please..And then lead me to the exit?
 You brim to overflowing, Always, Always,
 I over flow with you..

She felt tears slide from her eyes as he gently lifted a hand to her and drew her down to kneel before him.  Still singing, she continued?

 I want to grab hold of love with these two hands,
 I want to grab hold of your heart.
 
 She brought his hand to hold against her chest, so he could feel the excited beat of her heart.  Her heart began to beat double time when his hand gently slid to cup her breast.  She watched him as a shudder went through him, affecting her just as strongly as it did him.  Her voice caught and resumed in a whisper that flowed through the night with its sweetness.

  Oh, now you needn't be afraid..and so..

 With his other hand, Kenshin reached out and around her waist and gently laid her down upon the futon, his mouth covering hers as she sighed in pleasure.  Drinking from her lips, he undressed her.  When new, soft skin was revealed to him, he would caress it gently, reverently, then move on to revealing a new silken part of her.  She felt so warm, supple, and soft beneath him.  He wanted to feel all of her against all of him.  With uncharacteristic impatience, he untucked his gi and allowed her to push it off his shoulders.  Greedy for the feel of her, he immediately leaned over her, brushing his chest against hers, feeling her soft curves accept and mold to his.  After another soul-burning kiss, he was startled to realize that she was just as curious to see all of him as he was to see her.  With a smile he thought was simply beautiful, if not a little impish, she pushed him up and off her so she could untie his hakama.
 When he was completely undressed, he looked to find Kaoru staring at..him with a look of amazement, hunger, and not a little panic.  Her eyes sought his, "K..K..Ken-" He knelt beside her and began to kiss her again.  He smoothed his hands all over her body till he reached the soft warmth in the center of her.  With his nimble hands, he brought her to the brink of passion before slowly, carefully joining her.
 Kaoru ignored the pain and surrendered to the passion she felt coming over her in waves.  She surrendered to Kenshin's love and passion, accepting them into her heart and soul melding them, just as they were melded in body.  When she exploded into paradise, safe in his arms, he soon followed, calling out her name.  After the next ten minutes consisting of warm carresses and whispered declarations of love, they fell asleep naked, sated,  replete underneath the blanket on Kaoru's futon.

 This is how Sanosuke and Yahiko found them the following morning.