Part Twenty-Three

 On the way to the police station, there was an energized silence as everyone quietly reflected to themselves.  Yahiko led the way, followed by Sanosuke and Megumi with Kenshin and Kaoru trailing behind.
 Yahiko seemed deep in thought, and would occasionally turn to look back at Kaoru before he returned to his musing. Yahiko, he thought to himself, you know you've got to do something more for her.  She doesn't have any money to pay back the taxes, and knowing Kaoru, that means that she's about to do something really stupid.  Yahiko reflected back to the time, not too long ago, when he was working for the local gang as a pickpocket.  The way that Kaoru barged in with only a wooden sword and demanded that he be set free...it was the bravest and the most stupid thing he'd ever seen in his life.  Yet it saved him.  And she's taught me alot, he thought as he once again turned to look at Kaoru.  She taught him alot about life and living.  He knew that because of the things he did in the past, the way he lived, that he would never be an ordinary, carefree ten year old kid, and he felt kind of awkward for being abnormal.  But, with Kaoru, he could just be him, a loud mouth, smart alecky brat.  He turned around and led the group out of the forest, onto the main road that would lead them into town.  Alright Myoujin Yahiko, Yahiko spoke to himself determined, his hands forming fists of determination, as of tomorrow, you're going to demand a job at the Akabeko restaurant and you're going to help pay your way...before Kaoru gets desperate and does something crazy...
 Sanosuke walked with a slight feeling of..unrest inside of him.  Things always seemed so simple before he met Kenshin.  The anger and rage he always used to propell him through life seemed like a poor substitute for the well-being he felt now.  Thanks to Kenshin and in a way, thanks to Kaoru as well.  Sanosuke had to admit, that though the current government was corrupt and full of hypocritcal bastards, if more people like Kaoru were the result, then maybe Japan won't be too messed up in the future.  Then again, Sano thought ruefully, not a lot of people were like Kaoru.  Sanosuke felt his lips pull into a slight smile as he could remember his reaction to seeing Kaoru tonight.  Shock would be an understatement.  The night that he and Kenshin came to look for her, he was more distracted by Megumi's skimpy attire to be more than curious about the willowly feminine woman who'd attached herself to Kenshin.  Yet, when he saw the same woman tonight...Sano frowned and shrugged uncomfortably when he realized that for a second there, he was actually....attracted to her.  But as soon as he realized that she was *Kaoru* of all people, his..feelings immediately halted.  Man, Sano thought, I must be getting desperate if I'm looking at *Kaoru* as a woman. It was more than obvious to him and everyone else that she was in love with Kenshin and that maybe Kenshin returned her feelings.  And Sagara Sanosuke doesn't mess with his best friend's woman, he thought.  Besides, look at the lengths she went through to get Kenshin's attention.  Makes you almost wish you had a woman,doesn't it, Chicken-head?  Sano shook his head and stole a sideways glance at Megumi before thinking about more pleasant thoughts..like dinner...
 Megumi was depressed.  She knew to the second when Sanosuke fell for Kaoru.  There couldn't be another explanation for his reaction when he saw her.  When Kaoru stepped into the room, Sanosuke had such an intense look on his facle, the very same look he had that night in the closet.  Though, to give him credit, he didn't know it was Kaoru then.  The moment he saw her face though, he looked so comically floored Megumi would've laughed if she could've.  Soon after, however, Sanosuke's lazy face appeared and he interupted Kaoru and Kenshin's kiss.  Megumi was almost sure it was out of an envy or jeolousy on his part.  Which was just as well, Megumi thought, it's better that she knows now how Sanosuke feels about her than later when it could've been too late.  Better now before she actually started entertaining the notion of there being *something* between them.  Megumi laughed inside at her foolishness, not willing to accept that even the laughter inside her head  had sounded almost...bitter...
 *  *  *  *  *
   The entered the police station and waited for the chief to arrive for questioning.  When he finally did, he looked at all five of the people standing before him and looked at them very closely. The young boy, Myoujin Yahiko, from a Tokyo samurai family and an ex-pickpocket looked well fed considering that the girl had been taking care of him almost by herself.  His gaze shifted to Kaoru. Kamiya Kaoru, whose father was killed about a year ago.  She looked well, too.  Even if her dojo had lost all of it's students, she still taught occasionally at neighboring ones.  Her debt with the government probably pushed her into working for Kawasaka Ikeda, he thought, poor girl.  His gaze then moved to the tall gangster. Ah, and there's the former gangster Zanza.  Quite a difference in his eyes there, and he no longer carried a weapon, very interesting.  Though he still gambles, owes money, and has quite a tab at the Akabeko.  And if the chief didn't know better, he's standing very close to the woman doctor.  Takani Megumi, daughter of the famous doctor in the Aizu prefecture. I wonder if she knows her father's looking for her.  No matter, it's not important at the moment. Finally, his gaze rested on Himura Kenshin, also known as the former assassin Battou-sai.  This man is definately different from the blood soaked days ten years ago.  Himura looked like he was finally beginning to enjoy life, too bad ShishiO Makoto is going to mess that up for him.
 After a full two minutes of silence as the police chief stared intently at each member of the group, Kenshin stepped forward politely and inquired, "I was informed that you wanted to speak to me? About the events that have occured today?"
 The Chief nodded, "Something like that.  Tell me, did you find any papers at all in the office?"
 Kenshin noted the Chief's lack of surprise about any of the events tonight.  He was probably informed about it before we even went, he thought and pulled out the piece of paper with the name list on it.  Handing it to the Chief, they watched with surprise as he tore the sheet into small pieces.
 "Forgive me." The Chief smiled, "Documents such as this are dangerous if they are left lying around."  The Chief opened the top drawer to his desk and pulled out a sizable pouch, "Kamiya Kaoru, step forward please."
 Kaoru shot an uncertain look at Kenshin before doing so.
 "On behalf of the Sixth Police Department of Northern Tokyo, I present to you, Kamiya Kaoru, your reward of 500 yen for leading us to Kawasaka Ikeda, a man who would stop at nothing to gain his hands on government secrets in order to blackmail his way into a high ranking position."  the Chief placed the pouch in Kaoru's hands.
 Kaoru looked down at the pouch in confusion, "B-but, I didn't lead you anywhere!"
 "Perhaps you were not aware of it, but you did.  If your friends had not been worried enough to send the boy after you," he motioned towards Yahiko, "our intellegence wouldn't have been able to find out where Kawasaka had been hiding."
 Yahiko's brows furrowed when he thought of himself unknowingly being followed, he'd definately would have to work on that, he *was* a professional, afterall.  Putting a lid on the anger, for now, Yahiko just breathed a sigh of relief that Kaoru was going toget money out of all of this.
 Kaoru was still in shock, her hands clutching the pouch to her, "A-are you sure?"  The Chief nodded, "Positive."
 "Um-well, thank you very much." She bowed in appreciation.
 The Chief nodded and motioned for them to leave, "If you all would excuse me, there are more theives and killers out there that I've got to catch."
 "Just one question," Kenshin took a step forward, he was more than aware that there was more to the story than they were being told, "The men waiting in the forest, as well as Kawasaka Ikeda...who killed them?"
 Sanosuke stepped forward and exclaimed, "I knew I forgot to tell you, Kenshin.  I guess I was distracted," his eyes glanced over Kaoru quickly before going on, "There was a man with the North Road bandits, his name was Takida. When I got there, everyone was dead but him.  I tried to help him get as comfortable as possible before he died, but he said something I don't understand,"  Sano shook his head and continued, "When I asked who did this, Takida replied, 'The Wolf' and died.  I don't know what that means, though."
 Kenshin's eyes narrowed and met those of the Chief, no wonder he knows what's going on, Kenshin thought, he's Shinsengumi and the man working for him is as well.  Kenshin knew that the Chief could follow his train of thought, and they nodded politely towards each other before Kenshin turned and left the room.
          *                   *                    *                 *                *