PART SIXTEEN

Lyrics: Jushin      Composer/Singer - Inoue Shouko

 Kenshin realized that he was missing an important piece of the puzzle here.  Why Kawasaka would want him here and to watch the girl on stage perform was a mystery to him.  Also mysterious was the anger in the girls eyes as she glared at him from the platform. She probably wanted to be alone with Kawasaka, Kenshin thought.  Kawasaka and his endless line of used women.  He used Kaoru, Megumi, and Maku for his own ends.  Kenshin sat deeply angry as he imagined the man's hands on Kaoru's body.  Only concern for Megumi kept Kenshin from decapitating the man sitting before him.  Kenshin halted blood thirsty thoughts like that from his mind and watched the girl on the platform sing.
 As before, something in her honeyed voice touched him warmly, caressingly.  Though she looked at Kawasaka, he could feel the direction of her emotions towards him.  It was a heady mix, compelling Kenshin to watch the graceful body approach closer to him,yet still keep her distance as she sang to Kawasaka.  When her arms opened, Kenshin almost stood on his feet to keep her from embracing Kawasaka.  Though Kenshin knew she wasn't for him, he couldn't allow that...warmth and passion to go to a monster like that.  He was deeply relieved to see her swirl away from the villian, only to be ensnared in her eyes when they met his.  He could feel the blood in his body warm and rush through him again when her eyes broke contact again and met Kawasaka's.
 Sighing silently in relief, Kenshin's senses were about him again when he studied the guards surrounding Megumi-dono.  Sano would never forgive him if anything happened to her, he thought.  He knew how hard it had to have been for Sano to trust him to bring her back safely, but if Sano had come, he would've rushed in without thinking and may hurt Kaoru and Megumi-dono without realizing it. Kenshin looked at the doors leading into the heart of the building, that's probably where Kaoru...dono was being held.  Kenshin was worried beyond belief, but for some reason, he knew she was alright.  His attention turned back to the drama before him.  Kawasaka just added more money to the table.  How cowardly to use a woman's need for financial security against her, he thought.  Just like Kaoru.
 Kenshin wondered what in particular Kawasaka wanted from Maku, but resolved to save her also from the chains of blackmail when the girl began to sing again.  The first sound heard from her was a pure note of longing.  She stopped then.  She seemed to have come to a decision of some sort from the look of resolve on her face.  With her first set of lyrics, she took a step towards Kawasaka...
 
    If I'm asked now...

 Her eyes met Kenshin's again, more powerful than before..

    About the reason for the tears,
    That flow before I can get you to kiss me...
    Then, what could I do?

 She stepped to Kawasaka's left side...

    I'm remembering the recent past.
    (Ah, say...) I don't even know,
    (Ahh...) ... the meaning of true love...
    (Say...) I almost want to scold the self  I see...

 She stepped past Kawasaka and approached Kenshin.  The force in her eyes reached deep inside of him.  Begging something of him...

    On the other side of the mirror.
    I've been through so many loves.

 Did she want him to be her mirror?  Kenshin couldn't think logically with his emotions losing control...

    Am I beautiful?

 Kenshin almost felt his heart break at the soft, uncertain quality of her voice as she continued.  Kawasaka's angry presence could be felt in the room, but his anger was nothing compared to the onslaught of emotion he felt from Maku..

    If only you can...
    Continue to love me,
    My future happiness,
    Wouldn't matter.

 Why did she sing for him? Kenshin thought...

    This, I'm sure, is the first time I've felt like this.
    (Ah, say...) Even if you discover...
    (Ah...) The unknown side of me
    (Say...) Please whisper to me softly,
    That you won't hate me.
    I'm terribly afraid...
    Will my prayers be answered?...

 She now stood before him.  The song was over, but he could still feel the whirlwind of notes surrounding and embracing his heart.  He saw her eyes...beautiful blue eyes...she
sang one more verse...

    If I'm asked now...

  Kaoru knew that this was her last chance to sing to him of the feelings of her heart behind the mask she now wore.  She now leaned towards him, her face coming closer to his while she still sang.  She knew that nothing would stop her from finishing her song. She'd prepared herself  to shield against any and every kind of weapon that would stop her from telling Kenshin with her song how much she loved him.

 Her beautiful blue eyes...awash in tears...Kenshin remembered seeing those very same eyes only hours ago...lifetimes ago...he had no time to feel shock as knowledge of the person before him filled him. The person who's warmth and kindess allowed him to live peacefully in a home with love and laughter.  The person whose generosity and spirit intrigued him and compelled him more than anyone before.  The person who showed not a girl's shyness, but a woman's conviction. A lonely woman who grew up with nothing of her mother but a beautiful silk kimono...left with the presence of her father in a wooden sword. Her hands cupped his face gently as she came ever closer.  Her roughened fingers gently told of her years of training as her breath began to mingle with his.  He could say nothing as she continued to sing yet in a whisper as emotion overcame her...

    About the reason for the tears,
    That flow before I can get you to kiss me...
    Then, what could I do?

 Nothing will stop me, Kaoru repeated determinedly in her mind. No sword, no arrow, no dagger, nothing Kawasaka can do at this moment will hurt me enough to not tell him...she told herself.  She hadn't prepared herself for the one weapon that could and would catch her more deeply than any weapon forged by man...

 "Kaoru..dono?"

   The Truth.