Part Fourteen

 Of course, by the time Kenshin returned, Kaoru-dono was gone.
 When he came back, Yahiko had just returned from searching the riverbanks for Kaoru-dono. "Kenshin! She's gone! That bag she usually takes with her to work is gone, too!  And I think she took something else.." Yahiko lead Kenshin to the dojo, "Look!  Whatever was in that box, she took it with her."  Kenshin's demeanor changed when he saw the wooden box with wool lining that used to encase Kaoru-dono's father's boukin.
 Grasping immediate control of the situation at hand, he put a hand on Yahiko's shoulder. "I'm sure she's alright, Yahiko. But she will need help."  Kenshin turned, took the steps off the patio onto the grass.  "Yahiko, I want you to go find Megumi-dono, tell her not to go to the tavern tonight, and guard her till I get back."
 Yahiko's hand tightened on his practice sword in anger. Damnit, why did Kaoru have to run off at a time like this?! Yahiko began to head for the gate when Kenshin suddenly stood before him, tense with a hand to the hilt of his sakaba sword.
 "Yo Kenshin!" Sanosuke ran onto the dojo grounds.  The worry and anger in his voice apparent.
 Kenshin relaxed his stance and walked over to Sanosuke, "What's happened, Sano?"
 "Megumi's been kidnapped." Sano clenched his fists and gritted his teeth in frusration before he went on to explain, "On my way over here, I was passing the clinic and peeked in to see a couple of really messed up police officers and Dr. Gensei patching them up.  When I asked where Megumi was, Gensei told me that three men with swords came out of nowhere and grabbed her.  When she yelled for help, the cops were close enough to get involved, but they didn't stand a chance."  Sano looked at Kenshin seriously, "So, what do we do now?  Where's Kaoru?"
 Yahiko was holding his wooden sword so tightly that his fists trembled in effort.  First Kaoru then Megumi, even though he hadn't had the chance to protect them yet, he couldn't help but feel like he let them both down by not being there.  He blinked back the angry tears and waited for Kenshin's reply.
 "Kaoru-dono went back to the tavern, but she wasn't taken by force like Megumi-dono."  Kenshin thought about the situation at the north road and wondered if this kidnapping was a distraction to keep him away from that area.  Frowning, Kenshin knew that he had no choice but to go after Kaoru-dono. "Sano, I need you to go to the north road and make sure that no one else gets hurt there.  This kidnapping could just be a distraction to hide their true intentions.  Yahiko, go tell the police that Kawasaka Ikeda is the one behind the murders on the north road, then tell them how to reach the tavern.  I'm going to get Kaoru and Megumi-dono."
 Sanosuke opened his mouth to protest, to insist he go with Kenshin, but closed it and did what he was told.  There was anger in every movement of his body when he thought of Megumi being grabbed against her will and being held hostage.  He cracked his knuckles as the thought of pounding heads ran through his mind.  They were going to pay! No one messes with Sagara Sanosuke's woman!!
 "Hell ya!" Sanosuke exclaimed out loud, ignoring the fact that he was standing in the middle of the street in town where others watched him warily.
 "Be careful," a whisper went through the crowd watching, "That chicken-looking guy is crazy."
 * * * * * * * * * *

 Yahiko was running down the street towards the police station when he was suddenly lifted from behind and pulled into an alley.  Before he could grab his wooden sword, he was knocked unconcious. The tall shadow carefully placed Yahiko onto the ground and walked away.

 * * * * * * * * * *

 Kenshin arrived at the tavern and cautiously checked the environment around him.  He could feel the presence of three others, but they had no true battle aura to speak of.  <<But, just in case>>, Kenshin thought.
 His form faded from view and the sound of whistling wind was heard as Kawasaka's watchmen were put to sleep.  Satisfied, Kenshin approached the door and entered.
 The inside of the tavern was virtually deserted except for a tied and gagged Megumi in the far back left with two men flanking her, a very happy Kawasaka in the front row of the room facing the stage, where the beautiful singer, Maku stood looking more annoyed than surprised.  He could hear movement in other parts of the building and assumed that that's where Kaoru-dono was.
 Kenshin closed the door behind him. Kawasaka stood and waved him closer in, "Come on in, Battou-sai!  You almost missed the performance of a lifetime!"