Part Two

 Kenshin's day started out quite differently.  Even though the sun was beginning to rise and the
birds began to sing of the great day ahead, Kenshin couldn't help but feel that something was about to go wrong.  He rose quickly and grabbed his sakaba sword.  He walked by Kaoru's room and paused.  He could hear her breathing deeply as she slept.  He wondered if it was her he'd heard last night.  After he'd been awakened, he tried to determine if a threat awaited outside, but when he felt none, he relaxed.  It's probably Kaoru going to the bathroom, he'd smiled and went back to sleep. Back in the present,for just a moment, Kenshin contemplated opening the door to look in on her, as he sometimes did.  Yet today, the feeling of wrongness allowed him not to give into that temptation and he walked on.  He didn't have to check Yahiko's room as the boy could be heard quite clearly from his snoring.  Kenshin smiled slightly and walked down the stairs and headed into town.
 Though it was early, there was life to the small town.  Merchants were setting up there carts,
arranging thier wares.  Restaurants were opening, and the drunks in bars were finally getting kicked out after a hard night's drinking.  Kenshin was about to turn the corner into the town square when a man turned the corner and bumped into him.  The both fell to the ground, but the man recovered first.  While Kenshin was still slightly dazed, the man grabbed Kenshin from behind and held a knife to his throat.  "Sorry about this, brother," The man started, "But, I've got to get away from them."
Just then, three officers turned the corner and halted when they saw that their criminal was holding a hostage.  "Let him go, Kawasaka!"  One of the police called out.  The man named Kawasaka laughed, slightly hysterical, "Not until you let ME go! Now BACK OFF, or your town's going to lose another farmboy!" Kawasaka yelled angrily.  "I really don't want to hurt him, but I will!"
 "And if you kill me, who are you going to use as a hostage?" The man was startled by the
calmness of his hostage's voice, "I suggest you do as these police say."
 The man laughed bitterly, "As if I'd be treated FAIR if I did!"
 One of the police stepped forward, "Did you treat that five year old boy FAIRLY as you killed
him?!?"
 The man's face grew dark, "He was in my way...an accident."
 "Neighbor, I advise you to let me go before anymore accidents occur."
Kawasaka didn't stop to think about the fact that his hostage had a bigger weapon then he, so, he wasn't prepared when then the stanger in his arms suddenly pulled free, rolled, and stood before him with his right hand on the hilt of his sakaba, still sheathed.
 "Now, why don't you put down your knife, neighbor?"  Kenshin released his hold on his sword
and let his arms fall free to his sides, "No one's going to hurt you, just do as the police say."
 The man had been considering surrendering, (he knew certain people who could get him out
easily) till he got a look at his would-be-hostage.  It was the crack in his cheek that caused the
man's eyes to grow large.  The man dropped the knife and started backing away in fear,
"It's...you're...you..."  He suddenly turned and ran further into town.  Kenshin fell into step behind him.  Kawasaka, desperate, began to push people out of his way, and ran towards the bridge.
Once there, he shoved a woman out of his way, ignoring the fact  that the woman held a little boy in her arms.  The boy, knocked from his mother's grasp fell over the railing.  The only thing
stopping his decent was his mother grabbing him as she too began to fall over the railing.  Her cry of help was silenced when suddenly she felt hands steadying and pulling both her and her son back to onto the bridge.
 "Are you alright, Madam?"
 The woman tightly held her son to her and turned to smile at her savior.  It was the vagabond who was staying at Kaoru-san's dojo.  Since he's come to town, things have improved so much that the locals now were proud to call him one of their own.  She smiled tearfully at him," I'm perfectly fine now, thanks to you....Kenshin-san right?" At his nod, she continued to thank him till he told her that he was glad to help and that he had to go.  He left with the woman reminding him that he only had to come by her husband's shop if ever he needed anything.
 Kenshin  ran to the other side of the bridge, knowing that it was too late to chase the Kawasaka man any further.  He quickly scanned the area and decided that there wasn't anything clue left
behind to show where the man went next.  He returned to the dojo, knowing that Kaoru would
probably be up by now.  And probably taking out her frustrations on Yahiko.  Kenshin smiled.

    * * * *